Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sermon on the mount... uncomfortable, very uncomfrotable...

I visited an episcopalian worship service yesterday at noon.  The Eucharist was centered on the sermon on the mount (Matthew 5).  After the celebration we sat down and discussed the reading... I normally place myself in the position of first hearer... attempting to hear these words for the first time... one thing I noticed was my emotional discomfort with being one of the blessed people Jesus talks about, the second thing I was aware of was my dismissal of those that were blessed... like feeling sorry for them (far away 'them'), the third thing was my feeling of guilt that  the far away 'them' was not necessarily my story, and finally (or fourthly) I was struck by the call of Jesus to be present with those that are blessed... 
My discomfort with intentionally putting myself in the orbit of those that are blessed is striking.  I have a value of comfort, I like things to be easy... I like my convenience... being blessed is not very convenient... being blessed demands presence... when I comes down to it, I don't know very many blessed people... when I do meet the blessed... I want to fix their problem... would that make them unblessed? does my discomfort come from my fear of blessing?  Do I 'dismiss' because the sermon on the mount gets too close to my apathy, convenience... I honestly think that I may limit God because of my discomfort... It seems that this passage demands us to be present with those that are blessed... my question is, are we present when we are being blessed? Are we present with others as they are blessed?  I hope so... cv

No comments: