Thursday, November 6, 2008

Collaborative Vision Test

Last week I went to  Chicago to condense a prayer retreat I helped write into a manageable form.  The process was much like a vision test, you know, the kind where you sit in a chair... with the big goggle thing over your eyes... and the Dr. says... tell me which one is clearer?... one, or two... three, or four?... Now imagine that being done where six people are looking at every option... 

Person one... sits in the chair... decides 1 and 3 are the best... the next person sits down and likes 2 and 4... the third person (me) asks why we are doing this... well you get the idea...

We had so many options to go through by the time we finished I was exhausted... 

I believe that sometimes our faith is like looking at a map with a group of people... sometimes we look for the most efficient way of getting from point a to b... other times we are compelled to go a more scenic route (usually when we feel like we have the time, like when we are on vacation)... 

I found my impatience in Chicago... by the time I got to the airport I had had it... I wanted to fly home on a direct flight... I was even on the standby list... the counter attendant told me that because I had gotten a cheap fare I was not allowed on the direct flight (with 27 open seats)... so off I ran... to another terminal to catch my flight to Seattle...

I was so upset, I didn't get what I wanted... I had to go the long way, just because someone told me I was a cheap-skate... oh man, that's rich!  

Maybe the lessons I'm to learn are found in the travel, and not the destination...

No comments: